Here’s what you need to know:
1. Patients report lower levels of anxiety and stress when treated by empathic physicians.
2. Empathetic physicians are more likely to encourage their patients to get involved in their own care, thus increasing patient satisfaction levels.
3. When physicians invest in patients’ opinions and feelings, patients feel empowered and experience better treatment outcomes.
4. Empathy increases comfort levels and makes patients more comfortable discussing potentially embarrassing topics.
5. Trust is strengthened when patients feel physicians understand them and their issues.
More articles on practice management:
Transforming analytics from a business to a clinical tool — New York physician group CEO shares successes